There are two sides of the story when it comes to tooth loss. When children lose their baby teeth, parents rejoice! However, tooth loss in adults is something one should be worried about. During such circumstances, the Doctors of Dental Medicine often offer dental implants as the best possible tooth replacement option for their long-term benefits as well as effectiveness in imitating a natural tooth’s structure and function.
So what exactly causes tooth loss? Are you at risk for experiencing one soon? We answer these questions below!
Common Reasons of Tooth Loss
Generally, the most common reasons of tooth loss of patients here at our practice include the following:
- Tooth Decay – Untreated cavities tend to result to tooth infection which may even extend to the underlying gum line and jawbone.
- Gum Disease – Gum problems can range from mild forms (swollen, bleeding gums) to extreme cases (gum separation leading to tooth loss).
- Tooth Injury – Trauma or injury to the oral cavity can either result to immediate tooth loss or significant damage to the pulp or tooth root which may require extraction later on. Sports-related tooth injuries are quite common.
- Tooth Grinding Habits – Individuals with bruxism (constant tooth grinding) are also prone to tooth loss due to the pressure placed on the teeth as manifested by cracks.
Risk Factors of Tooth Loss
Moreover, the following factors have been shown to have a significant influence in tooth loss:
- Poor oral hygiene habits
- Irregular visits to a professional dental care provider
- Chronic smoking
- Certain health conditions such as gum disease, diabetes, hypertension, and autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Certain life periods such as pregnancy, menopausal period, senior years
Tooth Loss Should Be Taken Seriously
It looks like there’s more to tooth loss than making one appear unattractive and having speech or chewing difficulties. Based on the results of the study by the International & American Association for Dental Research examining the relationship between tooth loss and negative feelings, tooth loss has been linked to depression and anxiety.
Dental Implants by the Doctors of Dental Medicine to the Rescue!
Although there’s a wide variety of tooth replacement options available, dental implants offer long-term benefits which make them the most optimum tooth replacement option.
Our advanced diagnostics, including a digital panoramic x-ray and the newest 3D Cone Beam Imaging system, along with over 25 years of experience, make Doctors of Dental Medicine the right choice for your implant therapy. All aspects of dental implant treatment, from diagnosis to treatment planning to implant placement and restoration, are done under one roof at Doctors of Dental Medicine.
Visit us now at the Doctors of Dental Medicine! Call us at 732-329-3113. You can also fill out this contact form today to set up an appointment with us! We look forward to helping you achieve excellent oral health through dental implants.