Are you in search of that sparkling white smile all the celebrities flash on the red carpet? We can certainly help. Professional teeth whitening from a dentist can make your smile glimmer. But did you know there are some things you can do at home to help keep your grin white?
That’s right! Whitening by the dentist will yield the whitest smile, but we’ve assembled a list of things you can do on your own to help keep that look white between treatments.
- Avoid dark colored foods. It makes sense! If it’s dark on the table or in the glass, it’s probably going to reflect on your teeth. Think coffee, red wine, and grape juice.
- Ditch the dingy toothbrush for a fresh one. Your brush should be replaced at least every 2-3 months! Trying to clean your teeth with frayed and splayed bristles is an exercise in frustration. When you get that new brush, use a gentle circular motion, instead of a back and forth sawing motion to gently clean your teeth.
- Don’t forget your tongue! That’s right. Your tongue plays host to a wealth of bacteria, which in turn yields bad breath and dingy teeth. Scrape or brush your tongue at least daily.
- Use “detergent” foods to clean your teeth when you can’t brush. Detergent foods are crisp and help clean and scrape teeth. These foods include apples, carrots, celery and even popcorn.
- Use baking soda as toothpaste at least once per week. We know… it doesn’t taste great. But trust us, it’s fantastic for removing stains and keeping your teeth white.
- Practice flossing in the dark! Yes, you heard us right! If you can train yourself to clean between your teeth without looking in the mirror, then you can do it anywhere in your spare time. That long elevator ride, in the car (As a passenger, of course!), or even your desk now become fantastic places to whiten teeth. Stash a roll of floss in every nook and cranny to make sure you’re prepared to take advantage of the situation.
If you’re afraid your teeth are still not as white as you’d like after trying these 6 tips, give our offices a call! We’d love to make your smile sparkle!