Dental cleaning, also known as oral prophylaxis, is one of the obvious recommendations for our patients in South Brunswick. Despite our reminders, many people still miss their dental appointments thinking that there is nothing wrong with their teeth at the time. This mistaken assumption is not only wrong, but could also lead to further dental problems.
Five reasons why dental cleaning is important.
- It helps prevent cavities. Plaque builds up on the teeth over time. Oral prophylaxis removes the plaque and prevents cavities from forming.
- It helps prevent tooth loss. When plaque builds up on your teeth, gum disease can develop, eventually leading to tooth loss. A gum infection can destroy even the supporting bone in the jaw.
- It freshens your breath. While proper oral hygiene at home will help prevent persistent odorous breath, even everyday brushing and flossing are not enough to ward off bacteria from accumulating inside your mouth, leading to halitosis, or bad breath. Regular visits to the dentist help prevent this.
- It creates a more radiant smile. Over time, the teeth can accumulate stains from coffee, wine, tea, or tobacco products. Dental cleaning can effectively remove stains.
- It helps you save a lot of money. While you may postpone a dental cleaning to save money, in the long run, regular cleanings and checkups are the best way to prevent more serious dental conditions that will require extensive, expensive treatments.
Ignore your regular cleanings and checkups at your own peril. Book one today by calling us at 732-329-3113. We look forward to seeing you!